type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="482" height="302">
In the early hours of Friday 18th March 2011 armed with a cup of strong coffee I joined 4 other ActionAid campaigners in Woking to campaign outside SABMillers offices. Dressed in dashing beer bottle outfits our aim was to target employees as they entered the office and hand them a leaflet about ActionAids campaign.
WHY!? Our objective was to influence staff moral and force an internal communication on SABMiller's approach to tax planning.
WHAT IS THE MESSAGE? SABMiller's approach to tax planning undermines the positive work the company does on sustainable development, they can take the lead and develop a socially responsible approach to tax planning.
WHAT DO ACTIONAID WANT? SABMiller to stop using tax havens to siphon profits out of poor countries and to make tax justice a key part of their sustainable development programme.
For more information about this campaign head to the ActionAid website now. Find out how you can be a part of the campaign.
- The world’s 2nd biggest brewer and number 1 in Africa
- Owners of over 200 brands, including Grolsch, Peroni, Castle and Miller
- Make profits of £2 billion a year
- HQ just off Park Lane in London
• Developing countries lose more to tax dodging than they receive in aid.
• SABMiller, owner of Grolsch, dodges its taxes by siphoning millions into tax havens.
• The money African countries lose each year could put an extra 250,000 children in school